Sunday, January 6, 2008

"The New Art Year" by Michael CorbinAs we embark on 2008, I wanted to create some

resolutions not only for myself, but for the art world at large. I've based these things on my experiences as a collector. No one is perfect, least of all me and the art world certainly doesn't need my opinions, but because I love art, artists, museums and galleries so much, I think these could help things really ROCK in 2008. Enjoy!
1. Art gallery operators: Please smile occasionally and TRY to be welcoming to visitors. This may actually help you sell art on that VERY day. Of course, many galleries are warm and inviting, but many are not.
2. Artists: Please stop slamming art fairs. We know that they present all sorts of hazards and issues, but they ARE indeed legitimate venues for LIVING art. Ultimately, let's be glad that they exist. If they vanish, that would NOT be a good thing. I don't know. I guess I've stayed too long at the fair.

3. Art museums: PLEASE get your cities to create more highway markers/signs that direct visitors straight to your location. It's so easy for people to get lost in an unfamiliar city. Don't GIVE visitors reasons to go to the movies instead.
4. Art collectors: Let's do MORE to promote the work of emerging artists. We should actually create more art collectors. Yes, in a way this is a dumb move because we're creating our own competition, but emerging art is a VAST ocean that will never run dry. Artists are born every day. It's the most exciting sector of the art market.
5. Art snobs: Take an enema. Lighten up. You're not fooling anyone. By being a snob, you're missing the whole point of art.
6. Art schools: Encourage more young artists to take business and marketing courses. Make them MANDATORY. Art is a calling and a passion and a mission, but it's also a BUSINESS. That's a reality. We want to see more full-time artists and we want them to succeed.
7. Art centers: Reach out more to your communities. People DO actually like art and would love to visit you, but first, they must know that you even EXIST. Art communites can often be insular and cliquish. I have art centers in my own town and I'm not sure when they're open or how to even get inside. They don't make it easy and I'm a collector! (I have to take some responsibility. I tend to visit more international art venues) This serves no one ... least of all, contemporary art.
8. Art media: Yes, there are plenty of hot, young artists out there, but let's give some mid to late career artists some attention. They've earned it. Oh ... and their work tends to be better. Duh.
9. Artists: If you're selling your art, LET PEOPLE KNOW! They're not clairvoyant! And please don't be shy about CONSTANTLY promoting your work. When you promote yourself and your work, you're promoting the idea that art is ACCESSIBLE to the average Joe. This is important work.
10. All public venues: PLEASE consider holding living art exhibitions. This means restaurants, hospitals, libraries, government buildings, sports arenas, airports, court houses, etc. We know that you're busy. Do it once a year. That way, it's not a strain. You've got the wall space. Why not?
11. Me: Get a life.
Happy New Year!
From:http://blog.absolutearts.com

No comments: